Saturday, March 18, 2006

Creek Week 2006 Update

This Year's Creek Week was a great time for sure!
Every year, Memphis Whitewater, holds a huge whitewater gathering at Pickett State Park where kayakers and other whitewater enthusiasts come from all over the country to enjoy the creeks and rivers of the Cumberland Plateau together. I can't think of a more awesome group to spend the weekend with up on the plateau! Creek Week is for paddlers of every skill level to hang out and have a great time with like-minded, and not so like minded paddlers, on the various rivers and creeks Cumberland county has to offer. With a low water weekend in place on the Cumberland Plateau, the creeks were not looking good. Despite the low water, we had two great days on the Big South Fork and one fun surf session at Rock Island! Check out the pics!

Your's truly on the Big South Fork seal launch. Photo by Samantha B.

Photo by: Samantha Brunner

Surf time at Rock Island! Photo by: Samantha Brunner

At that point, my recent snowboarding injury to my wrist was REALLY catching up with me. All I could really do out there were big bounces, even with my wrist all taped up. But Rock Island is one of those places where even just front surfing can be fun. Since then, it's gotten so bad I can't even paddle. I'm really happy for that awesome day we had out there! But at least I'm finally getting this blog up and running!

Samantha B dropping into Double Drop on the Big South Fork. I took that one.

A shot I took of Samantha B enjoying Rock Island, TN

She got to try out a new Jackson Star and she LOVED it. The highlight of Creek was definitely the Jackson Kayak Raffle Memphis Whitewater held for American Whitewater! Jackson Kayak donated any boat of the winner's choice so that we could make money for river access and conservation! Boats rarely make over market value at raffles, but this crowd likes to go all out! The Creek Week Raffle was a HUGE success, raising nearly $1400 for American Whitewater!!! The winner, Mills, got a brand new Jackson Fun 1 for his little girl, Emlyn! I've got to send a HUGE thanks to Jackson Kayaks, for donating the kayak, and another thanks to Memphis Whitewater for their generosity and willingness to support our river access through American Whitewater! Despite the low water, it was an AWESOME trip, and I can't wait for the next Creek Week! Stay tuned for more updates as we head up to the North Alabama Whitewater Fest!